Because of its importance in cultural history, its age and its sheer size, the collection of manuscripts from the Benedictine abbey of St. Emmeram in Ratisbon is one of the core funds of the Bavarian State Library. In the aftermath of the secularizations of 1811/12, mor than 1.000 manuscripts were transferred to the Munich court library. Today, 943 manuscripts from St. Emmeram are preserved among the library’s Latin manuscripts, under the shelfmarks Clm 14.000-15.028. Other manuscripts with the same provenance were integrated into the collections of medieval German manuscripts; some codices are today part of the collections of Greek or Hebrew manuscripts. The holdings from St. Emmeram represent a collection from a Benedictine monastery which had grown over more than 1,000 years and is preserved largely intact. It contains priceless treasures like the so-called Codex Aureus, decorated in the style of the so-called Court School of Charles the Bald (Clm 14.000) and the single copy of the works of Hrotsvit of Gandersheim (Clm 14485), but also the medieval standard works in theology and the laws, and a particularly rich array of classical and historical texts as well as scientific, astronomical and medicinal literature.